LACONIA — At its typical Thursday night conference on Aug. 12, a massive viewers of associates and visitors of the South Down Property & Garden Club hosted a presentation by the hierarchy of Hannaford’s Gilford meat and seafood office. It was a repeat look for Jim Smith, Hannaford’s Head Meat Cutter, who visited the group two years in the past to share his views on picking cuts of meat for holiday break entertaining. This time Smith was joined by Riley O’loughlin, Hannaford’s new Meat/Seafood Manager, to reply concerns and take part in the presentation.
The subject for the August event was all about BBQ, and the two men came ready with cuts of beef, pork and whole chicken, in purchase to display preparation techniques. They started with a complete piece of a multipurpose reduce termed flap meat, which was trimmed and turned into sirloin suggestions. When guests took observe of the simplicity with which O’loughlin’s knife pierced by the meat, he shared that his kitchen area knife of option is by the Swiss company, Victorinox, the very same firm that generates the Swiss Army Knife.
Amid the BBQ recommendations and tips that were shared by the two that evening:
• Unwanted fat equals flavor! Really don’t veer away from meat that has a marbling of excess fat.
• Any slash procured can have a dry rub utilized at the retailer there are various flavors to pick out from. The rub should be still left on a minimum of an hour, but ideally right away, just before cooking.
• Really don’t be worried about freezing meat, as very long as air is eradicated from packaging. A vacuum sealer is best. It is the air that causes ice crystals and freezer burn off. Attempt putting meat into a zip lock bag and submerging into a inventory pot of drinking water ahead of sealing the drinking water will drive the air out of the bag.
• In no way re-freeze! The moment a meat has been defrosted, its texture ought to be transformed in some way in get to protect against bacteria. Very best way to thaw is in the fridge.
• Prior to cooking, usually bring refrigerated meat to room temperature.
• A knife sharpener, or, honing steel, accomplishes the endeavor by re-aligning the edge of the knife, which can be pushed to possibly aspect above time.
• Soaking hen in buttermilk provides more than enough acidity to break down the protein and create tender, juicy final results.
• Grapeseed oil is a gradual burn off oil that is a fantastic choice for use in an really incredibly hot pan.
• Right after beef is cooked, based on the sizing of the meat, it need to be allowed to relaxation for five to 30 minutes. This makes it possible for the juices to recirculate all through, and not finish up on the reducing board during carving.
• FAS stands for Frozen at Sea, and ought to not be regarded a detriment. It is a surface freeze to 30 levels, freezing drinking water but not in the course of the flesh, and retains fish clean.
The two Smith and O’loughlin welcomed queries from the enthusiastic viewers. When asked if smelling fish to test for freshness is legit, O’loughlin, smiled, “Absolutely, the nose appreciates!”
According to Marty Alexander, the SDH&G Club Chair, “We invited back again Jim by well-liked demand from customers, considering that his pre-holiday break presentation was so useful and well attended. Getting Riley right here as well was a reward! The enthusiasm and information that was shared by these two was so effectively acquired. They even shared some recipes that will surely exhibit up on South Down barbecue grills!”