Williamsburg is finding further tropical this summer time!
Celebrated Jamaican-born chef Andre Fowles is partnering with Kings County Imperial (20 Skillman Ave.) cooks Josh Grinker and Tracy Youthful for a specific, confined-time Jamaican and Chinese collaborative menu. Fowles, a 3-time Food Network “Chopped” Winner and the Culinary Director of Manhattan’s Overlook Lily’s, is bringing his distinct Caribbean method and style to Kings County Imperial’s beloved Chinese, current market-pushed menu in Williamsburg.
“There are so lots of Chinese influences in Jamaican cooking, so the flavors are common to me. I grew up eating Chinese food items in Jamaica made with local ingredients from the island,” says Fowles. “The 1st time I tried using Kings County Imperial, I was hooked! The boldness and the spice hit dwelling for me. Combining scotch bonnet peppers and pimento with Sichuan peppers and chili oil just screams deliciousness.”
The summertime Jamaican x Chinese menu, exclusive to Kings County Imperial’s Williamsburg place includes:
- Callaloo Vegetable Potstickers with sesame chili sauce
- Chinese Beef Patties with 5 spice beef filling and flaky pastry
- Curry Shrimp White Cloud Dumplings with spicy Chinese mustard
- Coconut Shrimp Toast with lime chili dipping sauce
- Jerk Pan Rooster & Corn with Andre’s dwelling-created sizzling sauce and papaya chutney
- Fried Complete Fish with escovitch pickle, Sichuan sauce
- Very hot Peppa Lobster Lo Mein with scotch bonnet scallion pesto
- Tamarind Hanging Pork Ribs with pork cracklings
- Jamaican Oxtail Stew with butter beans, crispy shallots, spinner dumplings
“Andre and I fulfilled at Kings County Imperial and right away bonded about our mutual realization that both of those Chinese and Jamaican delicacies share so many similarities in conditions of spice and depth of flavor,” claims Grinker. “I’ve also been relatively obsessed with the Afro-Caribbean flavors of the West Indies, particularly Jamaica. As a child I’d trip my 10-speed to Christie’s on Flatbush to get a beef patty and coco bread, and as an adult my travels guide me to the roadside jerk grills around Saint Ann’s Bay that really knowledgeable my cooking. I’m thrilled to get the job done along with Andre for this collaboration.”
The Jamaican x Chinese menu at Kings County Imperial is readily available day-to-day, from 5:30pm -10pm for in-restaurant (outdoors or inside of, for a restricted time. Reservations are not essential but can be booked by way of Resy.