Prep time: 40 minutes
Whole time: 12 several hours
for the dough:
4 cups|510 grams all-intent flour
2 cups|500 ml heat h2o
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup|125 ml olive oil, divided
for the spicy turkey filling:
1 ¼ cups|325 ml olive oil, divided
1 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 ½ kilos|680 grams ground turkey
1 ½ tablespoons floor fennel
1 ½ tablespoons smoked paprika
3 teaspoons chili flakes
1 ½ teaspoons salt
⅓ cup|86 grams tomato paste
1 ½ cups|375 ml rooster stock
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 batch Feteer dough, divided into 4 balls
¼ cup|60 grams unsalted butter
3 teaspoons olive oil
- Make the dough: Merge the flour, drinking water, and salt in a stand mixer working with the dough hook attachment. Knead the dough on a medium pace for 12 to 15 minutes. The dough should really type a ball and clean the sides of the mixing bowl, indicating that the gluten has been activated and the dough is powerful.
- Grease a baking sheet with ¼ cup|60 ml of the olive oil. Divide the dough into 4 balls and area on the oiled sheet. Prime the dough balls with the remaining ¼ cup|60 ml of olive oil. Deal with and allow for to relaxation at minimum 1 hour, but preferably right away in the fridge.
- Make the turkey filling by heating 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a huge frying pan over medium-reduced heat. Insert the onion and garlic, stirring consistently for 5 to 6 minutes. Then incorporate the turkey and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook dinner for an additional minute, stirring so that all of the floor meat can crack up and start to prepare dinner. Add the fennel, smoked paprika, chili flakes, and salt and cook for a different 1 to 2 minutes, continue to stirring often. Include the tomato paste and cook for an supplemental minute, followed by the stock. Provide to a boil and then cut down to a simmer and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Crack up all of the meat and allow the liquid to cook dinner absent. Finish by turning off the heat and swirling in the chilly butter.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a foodstuff processor and blitz a handful of instances. You’re not seeking to make a meat puree you’re just creating the consistency of the complete combination much easier to unfold on the feteer dough. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and whisk in the remaining olive oil.
- To assemble, flatten out a ball of the feteer dough by carefully pressing it in opposition to your get the job done floor, as if you’re carefully flattening out a ball of pizza dough. With your fingers, coax the dough from the edges to turn out to be thinner and thinner. You ought to be still left with a broad, thin, round piece of dough.
- Remix the turkey and oil mixture if require be, then distribute a quarter of the mixture in the heart of the dough with a spatula. Fold one side into the middle of the dough, then repeat in a circular movement right up until all of the sides have reached the middle. The dough will type a wheel form, enclosing the meat filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a solid-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Include the feteer, folded side up and prepare dinner for 3 minutes, until eventually the base is properly browned. Flip and prepare dinner for an additional moment or so, then transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining feteers, adding additional butter and oil as needed. Transfer the sheet pan of feteers to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove, slash into quarters, and love! 2 tablespoons|20 grams
Excerpted from Eat, Habibi, Consume! Fresh Recipes for Present day Egyptian Cooking by Shahir Massoud Copyright © 2021 Shahir Massoud. Photography by Kyla Zanardi. Released by Hunger by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random Dwelling Canada Constrained. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All legal rights reserved.